Rachel located this little hidden medieval church and as we were in the area, we decided to pop in for a look.
Between Coltishall and North Walsham lie the ruins of this medieval church of St Michael, in the tiny parish of Sco Ruston. Not far from a fairly well-used road, the ruins are nevertheless well hidden beneath a great deal of ivy: it’s quite difficult to even get a sense of the shape of the exterior because of this. Yet the interior, despite the lack of a roof and the trees growing up through the floors, feels oddly spacious and preserved, in a forgotten kind of way.
We walked down the side of a field and through some undergrowth, as we finally bobbed under some fencing the entrance was revealed.
Historic England Listing:
Parish church Grade II Listed building, disused. Medieval. Flint, stone dressings. Tower, nave and continuous chancel, south porch, all ruinous. Tower now collapsed. Buttressed nave and chancel of 3 bays now roofless. C19 west wall with bell-cote. C19 south window 3-light Decorated, the southeast window of c1300 with Y-tracery. C19 north windows. C19 south porch. All much obscured by vegetation
This church is obviously redundant and has a ruined west tower. The nave and chancel date to the 14th century and the bell-cote probably built-in 1860 when the church was partially rebuilt by Phipson.
Baptisms at the church were 1813 to 1880.